If you truly want to lose weight quickly and keep it off you need to do more than just diet. Participating in physical activity will increase your metabolism, tone and/or build muscle which will exponentially increase your metabolism multiplying your weight loss speed.
Listed below are the top ten activities PROVEN to explode a persons weight loss efforts.
1. High Intensity Interval Training – AKA – HIIT
Here is a small example of a HITT workout:
Touch your toes and stand in quick succession – 15 Rep
Side Bends – 20 rep
Leg Lunges – 10 rep each leg
Trunk Twists – 20 rep
Side Leg Lunges – 10 reps each direction
Kick your own butt – 25 meters
Arm Circles – 20 rep
High Knee March – 25 meters
The exercises should be controlled and quick. Use proper form and work safely. Beginners can start slow and build up.
2. Weight lifting for Strength training
Building muscle will ensure you have a revved up metabolism so all your other weight loss efforts will be faster. Building muscle doesn’t mean you have to get bulky either. Muscles can be lean, long, and sexy. It is important to note that when building muscle you need to keep your body fed with healthy foods. It isn’t at all effective to go on a starvation diet and try to do any strength training. This is one of the main causes of exercise fatigue because muscles need food including carbohydrates and protein to repair and build.
There are different methods to lifting weights to build strength using body weight only, or machines, or free weights. All are good but if you are deciding on what equipment to buy for yourself if you prefer not to join a gym – here is a guide on choosing between free weights or machines.
3. Climbing Stairs to Lose Weight
Among the list of body weight type workouts, climbing the stairs is incredibly effective. This activity is a real cardio workout as well as building and toning muscles on your thighs, calfs, hamstrings, and your butt. Even if you are just starting out and need to work up to climbing the stairs, you can benefit from a walking program. Although just walking isn’t on this top 5 list, walking will improve metabolism.
When you are ready to get a good workout on stairs you can do them inside or outside. If you have a stadium close-by you can run the bleachers like a football player. There are tall buildings that will keep you warm and dry while you run up and down the internal stair system too.
An effective stair workout that combines strength and cardio could look like this:
– Without having to run up the stairs you can do a slow body lift that will burn your butt and thighs. Place one foot on the step above and then raise your body up to that step so both feet can be on the step. Without allowing your weight to go onto the other foot, slowly lower back down to the original position. Add intensity to this movement by speeding it up or adding weights.
– Do stair pushups by leaning forward to be in a comfortable pushup position. Keep your body solid and do a few of these until your upper body feels the effort. About 15 reps.
– Do scissor jumps. This is where you start with one foot on one stair and the other foot on a lower step. Jump and switch. Keep repeating this. Be sure to have a safe place to do this preferably at the bottom of the steps.
– At the bottom of the steps do a side lift. Just like the first exercise only lifting your body from the side.
– Run up the stairs taking them two at a time then run down one step at a time but with wide leg stepping side to side from step to step.
4. Tabata for People Tight on Time
Tabata is perfect if you are really crunched for time and want a maximum HIIT style of workout that will burn fat.
This is the optimum strength building and cardio conditioning program that is used to slim down by some of the peak professionals. Imagine being able to get a major workout in just 4 minutes. Using a timer as your guide here are some sample 4 minute workouts:
– run all out for 20 seconds then walk for 10 seconds. Do this for 4 minutes
– do as many squats as you can for 20 seconds, then rest for 10. Repeat for 4 minutes.
– do a combination of weight training with a 20 sec fast weight lift then do a 10 second walk – repeat.
You can get really innovative to by setting up a circuit of short burst exercises that can do a full body burn in just a few minutes.
5. Lose Weight Swimming
Swimming is one of my most favourite recommendations for toning, conditioning, and weight loss. Although there has been some controversy about it, swimming to lose weight is very effective.
What makes swimming so awesome is it can be a low-impact exercise that can be enjoyed by almost everyone. If you are overweight you won’t be adding extra strain to your joints. Plus you can work as hard as you possibly can or as easy as necessary.
The perfect exercise.
Swimming is a upper and lower body exercise programme that will tone, strengthen, and improve your cardio as well as burn off a bunch of calories.