Swimming Weight Loss
The benefits of swimming for weight loss are increased metabolism, increased cardio activity, increased VO2, and much more.
I am not too happy with some of the bogus information out there.
I just had a client show me an article recently written by a person who is passing themselves off as a professional.
The article states that swimming isn’t good for weight loss –
I couldn’t believe what I was reading.
This other ‘fitness’ person also went on to say that swimming will cause your body to form a protective layer of fat –
The part she left out was – If you are training to swim the English Channel.
She said – it increases your appetite (as though thats a bad thing)
–Its a sign your body is BURNING CALORIES AND INCREASING METABOLISM!
AND she said that because a swimmer is in water they are not getting the full benefit of exercise
– The resistance of water as you swim actually increases your effort which increases your calories burned.
It really ticks me off when I read this BS because it can make a person doubt that anything is going to help them get fit or lose weight, and just give up – thinking “what’s the point?”
SO let me assure you – Swimming is one of the BEST exercises on the planet.
- It works all your muscles.
- It’s low impact – so if you are suffering from joint injuries its a relatively safe way to get exercise.(always check with your doctor though)
- You can get a great cardio – everytime! No matter how good you get at swimming you can always do more and faster so the exercise itself keeps up with your abilities.
- If you are a heavy person then it is a reprieve for your legs and back to get into buoyant water surroundings and move differently and freely.
With swimming YOU WILL LOSE FAT
With swimming YOU WILL GET FIT
With swimming YOU WILL INCREASE YOUR METABOLISM
With swimming YOU WILL FEEL GOOD
I can’t say enough good things about the benefits of swimming for weight loss – its the BEST!